Our power lies in the people behind this movement, and investments in people pay great dividends at every level of our organization. Obama Organizing Fellows are a key part of building that people power in our communities and campuses across the nation. The Obama Organizing Fellowship is a 12-week, volunteer program which will take place in the summer and fall of 2012. We are now accepting applications for the Summer Program.
Organizing Fellows who complete the program will leave with a full understanding of the most effective tools and methods that organizers use to make change in their communities. This program is often a first step in preparing for employment as some Organizing Fellows will go on to full-time jobs with their state’s organization. Organizing is inspiring but difficult work, so only those with a serious interest should apply.
Organizing Fellows will help us build neighborhood and campus teams of volunteers to help get out the vote in November.
- Engage potential new volunteers through phone calls and canvassing.
- Hold one-on-one meetings with potential volunteers and campus organizers to discuss shared goals and strategy, develop relationships, and plan events.
- Engage new voters by organizing voter registration drives at community events.
- Persuade, motivate and turn out voters in specific neighborhoods with specific messages.
- Enter, organize, and maintain data from all of our interactions in communities.
- Use social networks to help amplify our message and talk about the work that we do.
- Hold house meetings to bring supporters together in communities and on college campuses to strategize about what the campaign should look like locally.
- Recruit, coach, and develop local and campus teams of individuals who are willing to work together to hold outreach events with other potential volunteers and voters.
- Plan and execute events with other campaign staff and Organizing Fellows.
Candidates for the Obama Organizing Fellowship Program must be:
- Enthusiastic about helping to re-elect President Obama and other Democrats up and down the ticket
- Willing to volunteer long and irregular hours at times, potentially including weekends (these will be determined by you and the staff member you work with)
- Interested in people-centered, metrics-driven work
- Personally organized
- Hard working
- Strong communicators
- Committed to collaboration and teamwork
- Willing to commit to 15+ hours a week for a part-time fellowship or 40+ hours a week for a full-time fellowship.
Applications are being accepted and processed on a rolling basis until the program is full, but it is filling up quickly. Apply now before your state has reached capacity.
Applications and resumes for the Organizing Fellowship program may be shared between Obama for America and Organizing for America. Applicants for the position may be interviewed and accepted by either Obama for America or Organizing for America. Organizing for America is a project of the Democratic Party in the state in which the Organizing Fellow may be serve.
Obama for America is committed to diversity among its staff, and recognizes that its continued success requires the highest commitment to obtaining and retaining a diverse staff that provides the best quality services to supporters and constituents. Obama for America is an equal opportunity employer and it is Obama for America’s policy to recruit, hire, train, promote and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, economic status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, ethnic identity or physical disability, or any other legally protected basis. Obama for America will not tolerate any unlawful discrimination and any such conduct is strictly prohibited.